Category Archives: GenCon

Celebration: A Decade of the Hall of Beorn

It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to. ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings Like many epic … Continue reading

Posted in A Long-extended Party, Austin Community, Books, Celebration, Community, Con of the Rings, Events, Fellowship Events, GenCon, Hall of Beorn Card Search, Legendarium, Live Play, Lure of Middle Earth, New Players, Patreon, Play Style, Series, The Grey Company | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Discussion: Long are the Waves on the Last Shore

To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying. West, west away, the round sun is falling. Grey ship, grey ship, do you hear them calling, The voices … Continue reading

Posted in Austin Community, Community, Con of the Rings, Contract, Discussion, Fellowship Events, GenCon, Lure of Middle Earth, Theme, Tribute | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 7 Comments

Alternate Art: The Three Hunters Aggro v2

Sands of Harad was not exactly my favorite deluxe expansion, when it was first released. The versions of Gimli and Legolas had obvious synergy, but their effects seemed a bit underwhelming. Spirit Legolas, in particular, was in an uphill battle … Continue reading

Posted in Aggro, Alternate-Art, Art, Community, Contract, GenCon, Metagame, Power, Solo, Theme | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Poll Results: Where should the next cycle go?

With Beneath the Sands, we’re half way through the Haradrim cycle already. The final Saga expansion, The Mountain of Fire, should be released at GenCon 2017, so we can start to look ahead a bit, and wonder about where the … Continue reading

Posted in Community, GenCon, Poll | Tagged , , , , , , , , | 5 Comments

Game Variant: Bear Draft v3 – The Signature Squads

One of most interesting aspects of deck-building in the Conquest LCG is the signature squads. When making a deck, the first decision is which Warlord to use. Warlords are somewhat like heroes in Lord of the Rings LCG. They begin in play, and … Continue reading

Posted in Bear Draft, Community, Draft, Game Variant, GenCon | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 8 Comments

Alternate Art: Magali Villeneuve

The physical constraints of a card game mean that amazing artwork is hidden on small cards. With many talented artists contributing to this game, it is shame to have beautiful images limited to 3.5 by 2.5 inches. With the promotional … Continue reading

Posted in Alternate-Art, Art, Community, GenCon, Tribute | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | 14 Comments

Deck Spotlight: Bear Draft at Gen Con 2015

As promised, here are the deck lists from the 8 player Bear Draft that I ran at Gen Con this year. Unfortunately, I was not able to get each player’s name when I was collecting their decks at the end … Continue reading

Posted in Bear Draft, Community, Decks, Draft, GenCon | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | 6 Comments

Game Variant: Bear Draft v2

It’s been a while since Gen Con, but with so much happening at the Hall these the delay was longer than expected before I had a chance to write a retrospective. As part of the Grey Company‘s listener even, Ian hosted … Continue reading

Posted in Bear Draft, Community, GenCon, The Grey Company | Tagged , , , , , , | 9 Comments

Session Report: Bear Draft was a hit with the Austin LotR Group

For the second week in a row, we tried out a modified version of the Bear Draft format at our weekly Austin LotR Group. This time we had 6 players participate in the draft, followed by two 3-player games. One … Continue reading

Posted in Community, Draft, GenCon, Session Report, The Grey Company | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Game Variant: Bear Draft at GenCon 2015

With GenCon 2015 fast approaching, I’ve been thinking a lot about having something special for The Grey Company Podcast listener event. With so many fans of the game in one place, we have a rare opportunity to try different game … Continue reading

Posted in Bear Draft, Community, Draft, Game Variant, GenCon, Series | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | 19 Comments