As I mentioned in my earlier discussion of play style, the Galadriel player is focused on aesthetics and staying true to the theme of the source material. With hundreds of character spanning four ages and thousands of years, it can be hard to keep track of when a given character was alive, and with whom they were likely to have interacted. What follows is a timeline of major events in which I have placed, as accurately as possible, all of the unique characters that are included in the Lord of the Rings LCG. This is a living document, so as FFG prints new heroes and unique allies, I will be adding them to the timeline.
Years of the Trees
1142 – The White Tree, Galathilion, is given to the Noldor by Yavanna.
1350 – Daeron creates the Certhas Daeron (standardized written language).
1362 – Galadriel born to Finarfin and his wife, Eärwen.
1450 – Fëanor completes the construction of the Silmarils and puts the Light of the Trees in them.
1496 – The Noldor are banished from Valinor.
1500 – Creation of the Sun and Moon.
1 – Men awake in Hildórien.
116 – Gondolin completed.
466 – Beren and Lúthien come to Angband and take a Silmaril from the crown of Morgoth. Beren is slain by Carcharoth.
495 – Fall of Nargothrond. Tuor arrives in Gondolin.
510 – Fall of Gondolin.
532 – Elrond and Elros, twin brothers, are born to Eärendil and his wife, Elwing.
542 – Eärendil and Elwing arrive in Valinor and ask the Valar for aid in the fight against Morgoth.
590 – Morgoth is cast into the Void.
40 – Many Dwarves living in the ruined cities of Belegost and Nogrod migrate to Khazad-dûm.
750 – The Noldor found the realm of Eregion and begin the construction of Ost-in-Edhil.
1050 – Sauron begins the construction of Barad-dûr.
1500 – The Rings of Power are constructed.
1600 – Sauron forges the One Ring and openly declares himself.
1697 – Eregion destroyed. Elrond founds Imladris (Rivendell).
1700 – The Númenóreans defeat Sauron.
3262 – Sauron is taken to Númenor as prisoner. He begins corrupting the Númenóreans.
3319 – Downfall of Númenor.
3320 – Elendil and his sons, Isildur and Anárion, found Gondor and Arnor.
3430 – The Last Alliance is formed.
3441 – Defeat of Sauron and death of Gil-galad and Elendil
2 – Death of Isildur in the Battle of the Gladden Fields. The One Ring is lost in the Gladden river.
3 – Ohtar brings Shards of Narsil to Imladris
109 – Celebrían, daughter of Galadriel and Celeborn, is wed to Elrond in Imladris.
130 – Brothers, Elladan and Elrohir, are born to Elrond and his wife, Celebrían.
241 – Arwen Undomiel, Evenstar of her people, is born to Elrond and his wife, Celebrían.
1000 – The Istari arrive in Middle-earth.
1300 – Nazgûl reappear in Middle-earth and the realm of Angmar is founded by the Witch-King.
1409 – The Witch-King of Angmar invades Arnor.
1601 – Creation of the Shire; the count of years in Shire Reckoning begins with year 1.
1975 – Kingdom of Angmar is destroyed in the Battle of Fornost.
1980 – The Balrog Durin’s Bane is awakened by the Dwarves of Moria killing Durin VI. The Nazgûl return to Mordor.
1999 – Erebor founded and the Arkenstone is discovered.
2460 – Sauron returns to Dol Guldur, The Watchful Peace ends.
2770 – Destruction of Dale and Erebor by the dragon Smaug.
2931 – Aragorn II is born to Arathorn II and his wife Gilraen.
– Bilbo Baggins sets out on the Quest of Erebor, accompanied by Gandalf, Thorin Oakenshield and Company: Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Óin, Gloin, Balin, Dwalin, Dori, Ori, Nori, Fili and Kili.
– Smaug launches an attack on Esgaroth and is killed by Bard the Bowman.
– The Battle of Five Armies is fought, Thorin Oakenshield, Fili and Kili are slain. Beorn kills Bolg son of Azog (I remember that day well).
– Dáin II Ironfoot becomes King Under the Mountain.
2942 – Bilbo Baggins returns to Bag End after the Quest of Erebor.
2951 – Sauron reveals himself in Mordor and starts to rebuild Barad-dûr.
2978 – Boromir is born to Denethor II and his wife, Finduilas.
2983 – Faramir is born to Denethor II and his wife, Finduilas.
2989 – Balin leaves Erebor, entering Moria with a company of Dwarves including: Flói, Óin, Ori, Frár, Lóni, and Náli. Balin discovers Durin’s Axe.
2994 – Balin’s company in Moria is overrun by Orcs, Balin is killed by an Orc archer in the Dimrill Dale.
– Thranduil is attacked in Mirkwood and Gollum escapes.
– Sauron launches an attack on Osgiliath.
– After escaping from a Black Rider with the help of Farmer Maggot, Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin meet Gildor Inglorion and his company of elves on the borders of the Shire.
– The hobbits are saved from Old Man Willow by Tom Bombadil.
– The hobbits meet Strider (Aragorn) at the Prancing Pony in Bree. The proprietor, Barliman Butterbur passes on a message from Gandalf and helps them acquire Bill the Pony from Bill Ferny.
– The four Hobbits and Strider cross the Last Bridge and find the beryl left by Glorfindel.
– Frodo rides Asfaloth, Glorfindel’s horse, across the Ford of Bruinen. Elrond uses all of his skills to heal Frodo’s wound from the Morgul blade.
– The Council of Elrond is held in Imladris.
– The Fellowship leaves Rivendell.
– The Fellowship reaches river Nimrodel and meets the elves Haldir, Rúmil and Orophin. They are taken into Lothlórien. The fellowship takes counsel from Galadriel and Celeborn.
– Gandalf casts down the Balrog from the peak of Celebdil, and passes away afterwards.
– The Fellowship leaves Lothlórien. Gollum observes their departure.
– First Battle of the Fords of Isen during which Théodred son of Théoden is slain.
– The breaking of the Fellowship of the Ring. Merry and Pippin are captured by Orcs from the North, Mordor and Isengard. Boromir is slain trying to protect them. The Horn of Gondor is winded for the last time.
– Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas float the body of Boromir in an elven boat, over the falls of Rauros, because they do not have enough time to make a grave cairn.
– The Rohirrim led by Éomer destroy the Orcs who have captured Merry and Pippin; the Hobbits escape into Fangorn forest, where they meet Treebeard.
– Háma, captain of King Théoden’s personal guard, dies at the Battle of the Hornburg.
– Faramir leaves Henneth Annûn for Cair Andros. He is accompanied by Damrod, Anborn, Mablung and other trackers and rangers of Ithilien.
– Aragorn and his companions are met by the Grey Company: Elladan, Elrohir, Halbarad, and a contingent of Rangers of the North.
– Pippin looks into the Palantir of Orthanc and is then taken by Gandalf to Gondor.
– The Rohirrim ride with 6,000 cavalry to aid Gondor at the Battle of Pelennor fields.
– Eowyn, aided by Meriadoc Brandybuck, vanquishes the Witch-King of Angmar during the Battle of Pelennor Fields. This fulfilled the prophecy of Glorfindel, for the Witch-King fell not by “the hand of man”, but by a woman and a hobbit.
– Dunhere dies on the Pelennor Fields, attempting to protect King Théoden.
– King Théoden of Rohan dies on the Pelennor Fields, mortally wounded by the Witch-King of Angmar.
– Prince Imrahil, of Dol Amroth, acts as unofficial Steward of Gondor during the incapacity of Denethor II.
– Beregond, leaves his post as guard of the citadel to spare the life of his captain, Faramir.
– Denethor II son of Ecthelion II and Steward of Gondor, dies at his own hand. He is succeeded by his surviving son, Faramir.
– Brand son of Bain and Dáin II Ironfoot, King Under the Mountain, are slain in the Battle of Dale.
– Frodo and Samwise reach the Sammath Naur, the ring is destroyed, and Sauron defeated.
– Coronation of King Aragorn Elessar.
– Aragorn weds Arwen Undomiel.
– Aragorn finds the sapling of the White Tree.
3021 – Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond, Bilbo and Frodo leave the Grey Havens and sail West, never to be seen again in Middle-Earth.
62 – Samwise Gamgee leaves the Shire to sail West, never to be seen again in Middle-Earth.
91 – Dwalin dies at the age of 340 years.
120 – Aragorn Elessar, dies at the age of 210 years.
121 – Arwen Undomiel dies in Lothlórien.